Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Mekong Delta

    April 4, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    After a 6.30am wake up and a bumpy bus drive, we arrived at one of the sections of the Mekong Delta.

    Our first trip out on the boat was to an island were we had a row boat tour through the canopied water. It was so beautiful and was typically Vietnamese, with all of us wearing pointed hats. We then stopped at another part of the island where we tried a home made honey which is known for its many health benefits and was very yummy!

    Lurking around, they also had a python which I got to hold, safe to say it was a little daunting but felt it had to be done. By the end it had wrapped its tail around my leg, some might say it would want me as its prey however I reckon it just wanted a friend and a nice hug.

    Following on we left to go to another island where we ate a typical Vietnamese lunch, consisting of rice, beans, pork and spring rolls. However, the menu of this restaurant was questionable, including meals with crocodile and other appetising animals. We also spectated coconut candy being made which was really delicious. The speed in which the ladies finished the packaging at the end of the process felt like the motion was being fast forward as they went so fast.

    In pools around the complex they had a huge one full of crocodiles. There were so many I couldn't believe my eyes and were so still they didn't even appear alive. However, when it came to their feeding time you gathered they were very much alive.

    We then headed back to the mainland and onto the bus which would take us to Can Tho were we would stay the night. We wondered round the town and grabbed a bite to eat, the town being significantly less busy than Ho Chi Minh. With an early morning in store for the floating markets, it was straight to bed.
    Read more