Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    CANNES 👎

    May 4, 2023 in France ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    The sail up to Cannes was lovely passing gorgeous villas and yachts anchored including a 60 meter with a slide into the water off the bow! We anchored off the old port of Cannes for a quick look-see and grocery shop. There was so much construction going on as they are prepping for the Film Festival next week. We rowed over to a jetty but were told we could not stay as it's under construction and part of a hotel. So we rowed to the corner of the beach by the Palais des Congress where they were erecting canopies and tents for the Festival. A security guard let us through and we wandered past the mega yachts being polished, washed, and scrubbed, and along the hotel strip where hotel guests can rent a sunbed on the beach for 25€ and eat a slice of cheesecake for 20€! People were lined up to take a selfie while on the red carpet entrance to Palais des Congress! The cafés and restaurants were full ( a Norwegian cruise ship was anchored) and the town was glossy, shiny, polished. We grocery shopped and stopped at the boulangerie where I was reprimanded for touching the glass case showing the pastries.
    We walked back to the area where we had our dinghy, alerted the security guard who let us through, and walked down to the dinghy pulled up on the beach. The guard suddenly appeared and started a French diatribe that we weren't supposed to be there, this was an expensive beach for guests, we were tourists, and she was calling the police/security. Bob tried to explain and she walked away while calling for backup and wouldn't let us leave. This was the same woman who let us through! Fortunately, calmer heads prevailed and the 2nd security who came along just told us to leave and not come back as we were tourists, not guests. Perhaps they thought we were refugees in our rowboat? 🤣
    We rowed back and motored to Île Saint Marguerite, an island just off Cannes, and anchored for the night.
    For all its shine and gloss, it's a veneer that covers an unwelcoming attitude unless you are part of the wealthy, mega star elite. Disappointing.
    Read more