Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Acciaroli

    September 13, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We discovered after our morning coffee in the cockpit that we were drifting out toward the reef! The wind had been light but constant and the anchor must have been slowly skipping along the bottom. We lifted and reset it after going to the dock to get the anchor unstuck from its brace and resettled it into the sand. We rowed ashore and chatted with a young man (26) at the beach cabana who asked where we were from. He recited his high-school geography to guess which city/province. He lives in this tourist town in the summer and moves to Australia for the winter to work and surf as Acciaroli's 350 residents (!)shut down in the winter. We chatted about Italy and his comments included how the southern people were much friendlier, the North was all about business, and the big power boats we've seen were all Mafia money!😮 He advised there are places we dare not go...
    Acciaroli is very small and pretty with its pedestrian only narrow streets lined with shops and porticoed restaurants with vines and flowery bushes. For such a small town, it looks well cared for and prosperous. We wandered, not far, as it's about a km in length and bought some fresh produce then rowed back to the boat. We had a swim then set off for Sapri but decided along the way to stop earlier at Baia del Buondormire, a lovely bay at the bottom of some cliffs and in front of a beach resort. A few sailboats also stayed the night: a few French, an American (first we've seen over here), a Malta boat, and a few unknowns and us = 10. We swam (water temp 28.7C), had dinner and settled for a calm and quiet night. La bella vita.
    Read more