Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Still here...

    September 25, 2023 in Italy ⋅ 🌬 20 °C

    We've been in Porto di Ciro for 4 days now trying to jump across to St Maria di Leuca. The Ionian Sea and winds are not cooperating! On the first attempt, the winds and waves were from the South and after the gale warning, we headed back. We spent the next day exploring on our bikes. Unfortunately, the supposedly excellent antiquities museum was closed so we rode towards the Pt. Alice lighthouse but the sandy path prevented us from proceeding. (thwarted- a familiar theme!) Back at the boat, we did a few odd jobs while the wind blew 34 knots! Thank goodness we were here! Even in the harbour we felt the boat buffeting and jerking on its lines. The wind brought some clouds and a sprinkling of rain. Our 2nd voyage out began yesterday at 0610 after coffee. Fortunately, the cooking gas ran out after the coffee was made. After an hour with a North wind, the wind alarm beeping, waves increasing, and another gale warning, we turned around. Back on the dock, a fellow Canadian came by. He's been living here for 5 years and has family back in Winnipeg, but as a chef, worked in Kelowna and in other provinces. He gave us a restaurant recommendation. Bob wanted to get more diesel and once again, had to be the bicycle fuel delivery guy! Being Sunday, the gas station was closed and the streets were dead quiet but we were able to get cooking gas and the young fellow gave Bob a free lighter after chatting. The bigger grocery store was open so we picked up a few things...medicinal wine! We've adopted a number of things as "approved medical devices" - a narrow, short board as a back scratcher and lotion spreader, a cold beer bottle as a compress for swollen bites, a metal file for callus removal, and wine as a nerve relaxant! When we came back from the store, an Italian catamaran came in from a short distance up the coast. They asked to borrow our bikes to go to the grocery store and afterwards invited us for a glass of wine. It was a charter and they were only traveling a few stops on the coast. We went out for pasta at the recommended restaurant on the water. Everyone in the town was out! It seems Sunday is for church and staying home in the afternoon and then everyone comes out at night until late! Even when there is school and work the next day!
    A thunderstorm came through so the boat got a minor wash.
    After checking the forecast ad nauseum, we decided leaving around 11 today would be good as winds were supposed to drop. Bob picked up fuel early on his bike. As we came out from the harbour, we could see the swells and whitecaps beyond the Point. We got out far enough to realize the swells were too big so we turned around again and here we sit pondering...
    Read more