Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Of Gods and Men

    October 12, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    The Gods were listening to Capt. Bob muttering about no wind and wanting to sell the mast and sails! On Tuesday, we motored from Gouvia, past Corfu town, along the Eastern Corfu coastline to a small fishing village, Petriti, where we spent the night bouncing and swinging as the wind and waves picked up. We had a lovely evening though with a young couple; she is Canadian and he is French, and it seems we've been playing sail tag with them since Sicily!
    Wednesday morning we decided to do a hike before setting off but it was more of a walk along the coast so we didn't go far. There is a trail developed by an English woman that goes from one end of Corfu to the other and takes about 10 days with places to stop for the night. Our walk was not part of that!
    The wind got up to 13 knots so we had a lovely sail to the mainland town, Mourtos. The trip was under 4 hours and is my idea of a perfect day! Until we came to anchoring...
    Our dinghy line got caught in the propeller of the sailboat so we stopped the engine but we were drifting toward a catamaran! Bob lowered our anchor but not fast enough to prevent us from bumping the catamaran. Fortunately, the men on board were prepared with bumpers and were not concerned about the little scrape on their hull. It turns out they own 4 charter boats and said they'd seen and done worse and would just add it to their jobs list! They were so kind and understanding and suggested we could buy them a drink so when we saw them on the waterfront, we delivered a case of beer instead and had a chat.
    The anchorage was beautiful with turquoise water and different little fish swimming around. We swam and watched boats come and go, some that we've seen in other anchorages. We enjoyed a meal on the waterfront then back to the quiet and calm anchorage for the night.
    We spent this morning doing little jobs and had a swim before departing for Lakka, Paxos Is. Bob was hopeful that we'd be sailing the whole way but it was not to be. Perhaps some more mutterings to the Gods are needed! We arrived in another beautiful anchorage but a busier one with +25 boats: German, Austrian, Polish, U.K. Met a young fellow from Scotland and he and his wife live and work online aboard their boat. Same as the couple in Petriti.
    Greece, in spite of our worrisome start, has been wonderful. A few challenges: biting bugs which love me 😬😟and getting water. Not every harbour has fresh, drinkable water so we are on rations until we can fill up again. Otherwise, beautiful sea, sky, birds, landscape and people. 😍
    Read more