Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Zig, Circle and Zag

    October 15, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    We spent Friday morning puttering and since we weren't traveling far to Gaios further down the island, I went to the village to the lovely young woman who could do our laundry and to shop for a few things. I was alone, motoring in the dinghy, in a beautiful harbour...😍😃
    Later, Bob felt the need for exercise besides swimming to the shore so he rowed us around the point at the harbour entrance and back. Off to the village again to pick up the laundry and off we went down the coast about 5 n.m. to Gaios. The town was busy and looked quite lovely with shops, people, restaurants but there was no room to tie up or to anchor so we came out again and headed back towards Lakka. The wind and waves had picked up and we were unsure of other anchorages so we went back to Lakka, a secure harbour. Our entertainment was watching a German boat anchoring: he set out 2 bow anchors and had his wife swim to shore with a line to tie to a rock! He had started so close to an Austrian boat that they decided to move over ☹. The process took over an hour of adjustments!
    The roosters woke us up Sat. morning and we set off down the west side of Paxos. A very different landscape from the forested east side with rocky cliffs, caves and striped layers. I was hoping to stop and swim and explore at the Blue Caves but there was a bit of swell, limited sandy bottom, and rocks! so we circled around, took in the view and carried on. We passed a stone arch and went into Mongonissi Bay where we could/should have come to the previous night as it was next door to Gaios! We turned and set off for Preveza on the mainland. It's where we'll be leaving the boat for the winter and where we can explore before the expected stormy weather arrives. We are in good company with other boats we've seen in other harbours and where everyone we've met is leaving their boat for winter. We're anchored off the town and will stock up and fill up then sail to areas near by before coming back in a week. The coastline coming in has dropped and ends in a salt marsh before rising up again. Varied and beautiful Greece.
    Read more