Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Preveza

    October 16, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    The name means "Passage" because it is between Epirus, Central Greece and the Ionian Islands. It is where Octavius Augustus defeated Antony & Cleopatra in the Battle of Actium in 31 BC. There are ancient monuments all around the area and we will visit them later. We spent 2 nights anchored off the town and wandered the lovely lanes festooned with gorgeous vines and flowers, swam at the beach with a mineral spring where the locals swim for good health (so I'm cured of any unknown ailments!), and had an amazing dinner with 4 other B.C.ers. Fortunately Bob kept his opinions about catamarans (condo boats he calls them) to himself since 1 couple has one! They spend a lot of time here so had a favourite restaurant where we were treated royally with ouzo, bread, spreads, olives, dinner plates, wine, dessert and liqueur for €12 each! We spent 4 hours sharing adventures, foibles, repairs and boating life.
    We had coffee the next morning with a UK couple who also spend a lot of time here and they shared their time, stories, information, funny anecdotes and kindness. We'll see them in the Spring too.
    We did some reconnaissance after taking shelter from the rain⛈ and found the tourist office, bus station, customs and Port police where Bob was admonished for not going to the Port we said we were going to upon leaving Corfu! More administrative, bureaucratic challenges. We bought pastries to make the paperwork nonsense more palatable!
    Read more