Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    A piece of Heaven

    October 19, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    The morning after the storm, we mopped up, bailed out and hung cushions to dry in the sun and breeze while we went for a bike ride! We rode to the end of the fjord along the shore and in a lane under lemon and lime boughs, bright pink bougainvillea branches and rows of potted trees and flowers. We stopped at an ancient tumuli, burial site, and of course, a bakery 😋. We packed up and as we got into the channel, we sailed past Skorpios Is., formerly owned by Onassis and now by a Russian princess. We checked out a few bays and decided on the one I'd originally chosen, Platygiali Cove. A small pebble beach, olive and cypress trees behind, hills on 3 sides so well protected, and clear water. We had the cove to ourselves, except for the Solitary Man who appears to live in a tent well hidden. Boats passing by were far enough out and we were far enough from the beach that we skinny-dipped. Memories of cottage nights 😍. The Solitary Man had his bath and sat on the beach until the sun went behind the trees. We sat listening to birds chittering, chattering and chirping and water lapping until it cooled and we went below. The sky was clear and the stars brilliant in our dark cove.
    The sun didn't hit us in the morning until 9:30 but it was bright and the birds were happily singing. A fisherman rowed in and he showed us the octopus he'd caught. Happy for him (dinner?) but sad for the octopus. I went snorkeling and saw different schools of fish. Solitary Man went off on his bike and we picked up our anchors leaving our one-time glorious cove and set off looking for our next perfect spot.
    Read more