Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Abelaki Bay, a bit of Heaven with 🎶

    October 19, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    As we left our heavenly anchorage, we had lunch floating on the breeze. A good wind picked up so we put out the jib and sailed along checking out the bays and watching other sailboats cruising along. We came into Abelaki Bay and anchored between 2 small docks on each side of the bay. We weren't sure about staying because there were 3 catamarans docked and playing loud music but soon realized they were guests for a small wedding and we had front row seats! The music changed to our era (Simon & Garfunkel, Clapton, Elton...) and an excellent guitarist and singer played during the ceremony and after. The ceremony was by the sea, under the olive trees with the sun shining. Magical.
    We decided to walk up over the hill (huff, puff) into the harbour town, Vathy, and poke around. The rest of the day was swimming and enjoying the music and laughter from the wedding and watching boats come into the bay doing their anchor dances (here, there, up, down, turn around) and settle for the evening. The most interesting though were the 8 charter boats reversing from half way down the bay at a good clip and backing into the dock! Reversing is one way to get where you're going! 🤪🤣
    On Friday, we were again going to go one bay over to Paradise Beach, Port Atheni, but the wind had kicked up to 18knots with waves and swell so we did a quick reconnaissance and decided Abelaki Bay was the calmer choice so back we went, almost to the same spot as the night before. Fewer boats were anchored and the catamarans with the wedding guests had left as had the 8 docked charter boats. We walked to Vathy again taking a different route to pick up the required bakery items and beer. Greek wine is expensive (by Bob's standards🤑 )and not that great compared to the good Italian wines for €2!
    Except for being bitten by bugs, we had a good dinner outside at the taverna. We're one of its last customers because the sailing/tourism season is ending this weekend and most restaurants and tourist shops shut down until April. We didn't realize how dependent these places are on the 24/7 - 7 month tourist season to pay for the next 5 months of no work. A very different lifestyle.
    After the very windy start outside the bay, the night was calm, still and quiet.
    Read more