Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Repeats:Tranquil Bay, our heavenly cove

    October 22, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    After a very still, warm night in Abelaki, I sat in the cockpit before the sun came up watching and listening to the world awaken. Boats left early and since there was only the French boat and us, I decided to follow the French woman's example and do yoga on the foredeck then have a skinny-dip! Bob did too after he finished his morning scrubbing on the deck. We had a great chat with the French couple after enquiring about their dinghy engine, a small electric one recharged by usb cable! They are hauling out in Preveza too so we said we'd see them there. We decided to explore another bay and anchored beside a UK couple having lunch. In our chat, we learned their son has gone to Whistler to work for the winter.
    We ended up not staying as the forecast predicted thunderstorms⛈ again and we didn't want to have a repeat of the previous time 😬 so we moved back to Tranquil Bay. As it turned out, we could have stayed as the storm never appeared. So, Sunday morning, we decided to walk to the "magnificent Nydri waterfalls" which turned out to be a trickle! The map said 3.6 kms but as we wandered past houses, olive groves, the dry river bed full of boulders, it certainly felt further. It was pretty though and eventually we came to a café where the road switched to a narrow path up the gorge to the bottom of the falls where there was a small, cold pool. Swim forsaken. Back we walked, stopped at the grocery store and Bob rowed us to the boat. Our walk ended up just over 9 kms. We had lunch and once again, thought we'd explore another anchorage for the night. Too deep; the next spot buoyed off, at which time we decided to go back to our heavenly cove. Sailed with the jib only as the wind was gusting to 17 knots and as the cove came into view, horrors! a catamaran was already there! We came in anyway and as it turned out, we weren't the last! Obviously our treasure cove had been discovered! No matter, there was room to share and everyone enjoyed the cove with quiet enthusiasm. As the French women were topless sunbathing, it seemed fitting for another skinny-dip. Another glorious night in our heavenly spot with the 1/2 moon and stars shining brightly.
    Read more