Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Mihai and Rodica

    August 19, 2022 in Romania ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Mihai and Rodica run the Hille Guesthouse in Magura - and it is te perfect illustration as to why the star system for accommodatio n is rubbish. There are no facilities (there is wifi), no TV is rooms, not tea and coffee machine, but you will struggle to find a better place to stay.

    Magnificent views is a fine start, and you notice these moments before, on arrival, you are greeted with a shot of home made plum brandy ( to be fair this is fairly universal in this part of the world) and maybe some cheese nibbles.

    But they are just a charming couple. Nothing is too much trouble. Aand the home cooking is magnificent. The fish and chips was fresh trout with a coating of garlic, pepper and polleta (i think) , and the chips were very herby.

    Dinner every night cnsisted of a soup course, lots of veggies with maybe pasta or veal. They were very aware of Caroline's Parsley allergy, but unfortunately added Loveage instead, which turns out to be from the parsley family, but stronger. Main course was stuffed pepper, or fish, or meat balls, or some other fresh local delicacy, and a home made pudding too - Mini doughnut, like Beignet, were my favourites, and washed down by (excellent) hoke made wine.

    We were joined on the 2nd night by a young (ish) chinese couple, Ke and Xu Xwei, who were also on a walking week holiday booked through Romania Active. They are both PHD students currently studying plant science in Germnay. Very unusual to meet independent Chinese travellers, and they were great fun. Good English, informative and a good sense of humor.
    Chocolate bar. Food sherry wine food.
    Read more