Satelit
Tunjukkan pada peta
  • Hari 5

    Foucauld Hotel and Berber cafes

    21 Ogos 2023, Maghribi ⋅ ☀️ 38 °C

    Expedition Foucauld Hotel. Trekked across the souk and Djmaa El Fna to the Foucauld Hotel, the old Exodus base from my trekking days, where I was based for most of 2 summers with some characters like Elgin Sharp (Animal), Phil Mansbridge (Bubka Mate), Mick Bromley and Cliff from Sherpa.

    Looked dilapidated from outside, but open, so went inside. Desk man was Mustafa who I didn't remember, but he remembered the Exodus days and asked after David Gillespie and David Burlinson. Thami, the main desk guy from my days (Saddam Hussein lookalike) and Haj Ben Salim, the owner, both still alive and retired.

    Dining room has been shut since covid, still has some of its old grandeur but needs lots of TLC and a new ceiling. Hotel still functions but i suspect not many tourists stay there now. Did venture up to the roof terrace to be reminded of what a splendid place this once was.

    Afterwards headed to where I thought the old berber cafes were in search of lamb chops and chips. After much searching found something resembling one but it was disappointing - More touristy, very small portions, not much charm at all.
    Baca lagi