Satellite
  • Day 459

    Cuenca

    August 8, 2018 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Cuenca is another colonial city set in the mountains and a popular retirement destination for many Americans. We found the city very livable and have felt very safe wandering around. It’s not as well-restored or pretty as many other South and Central American cities, but it’s charming and packed with a variety of good restaurants and leafy parks.
    Unfortunately, John had some problems with his teeth here and ended up having to get a root canal and a crown. The good news is he found good dentists to do the work at a fraction of what it would have cost in the US. Apart from many dental appointments, we enjoyed getting some exercise and taking boot camp classes from a Canadian woman who runs a gym near our apartment and getting several wonderful massages by an American woman from CT.
    This is our final stop in South America so we went through our things and donated around half of our clothes to a local church as we’ll be heading into fall/winter in Japan and needed a wardrobe change. Plus, we hope the clothes can go to some of the many Venezuelan refugees who are trying to make a new life here in Cuenca.
    Read more