Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    A Day in Sligo

    May 20, 2022 in Ireland ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    It wasn’t supposed to be a day in Sligo, we even put on our cycling clothes ready for a cycle round Lough Gill assuming the rain, if not the howling wind, would abate before our planned departure. Having consulted the weather forecast, yet again, we found that rain was due on and off all day, yet again! So after checking out what to do in Sligo and the bus timetable it was off with cycling stuff and on with civvies, including waterproofs, of course. Just then it brightened up and stopped raining but we didn’t fall for that one and continued with the “Day in Sligo”.
    The bus came on time, we were there early, and the bus stop was a couple of hundred yards from the the site gate by the obligatory, in this area, WB Yeats hotel. Three Euros for 2 seniors into the city centre 30 mins ride away, bargain.
    Once there we called in at the local museum (free entry) quite interesting with stuff from prehistoric days to the present with a lot of stuff on the separation of Ireland including information about Countess Markievicz of Lisadell House, a revolutionary nationalist who took up arms but also became the first women elected to the British House of Commons. In addition, of course, displays on WB Yeats.
    Wondering around town we came across and old fashioned department store and round the corner the parched entrance to the store’s cafe/restaurant (Lyons Cafe). Time for lunch, we opened the door went up the quiet stairs and as we opened the door to the actual restaurant we were hit by a cacophony of noise, the place was packed and humming. We managed to find one of the few free tables and Tony queued up for the food, pork including crackling, only allowed on holiday! The food was very good so, once fed and watered, we were back on the streets and checking out the local cinema, the new Downton Abbey film at 4.25 so we booked two tickets. In fact they were the only 2 booked tickets but another 5 people turned up for the performance. We did a walking tour around the town which included the remains of the old gaol where Michael Collins was held and the Sligo Priory.
    After the film, we were back out on the streets for the 7.25 bus home, 3.80 Euros this time?
    It did rain on and off all day but we managed to find shelter when we needed it and we’re happy with the revised plan. Tomorrow for the Lough ride.
    Read more