Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Lazy day in sleepy Korcula

    August 15, 2018 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Although we went to Korcula today, that wasn’t the initial plan. With a very early start to the day, we woke up at 5:00am in order to catch a local bus at 6:05am that was to take us to the port, in order to catch a ferry to Hvar. As one of our taxi drivers so kindly pointed out, us vacationers must have left our “brains at home,” because the morning ferry was sold out. We were assured by our Airbnb hostess that we did not have to purchase tickets in advance, so we mistakenly took this advice without investigating for ourselves.

    What to do next you might ask, why hop on a bus to a place called Orebich of course! Finally, after a two hour long bus ride, and a quick hop onto a ferry, we found ourselves in Korcula, a place that Sean’s friend Calvin recommended we go to.

    What an incredible change of pace from the hustle and bustle of tourists in Dubrovnik. With tiny pebbled beaches and a much smaller old town area to explore, we must have seen the entire island at least 5 times if not more. A vast majority of cafes and restaurants were named Marco Polo, as Korcula claims to be the alleged childhood home of the Italian explorer.

    We enjoyed a pizza dinner by the water, and then we found the ticket office to purchase our ferry tickets back to Dubrovnik tomorrow morning - see, you can’t fool us twice ;) While sipping on local wines and craft beers amidst tiny cobblestoned alleyways we tied our rummy 500 score, 5:5. For some strange reason, the (male) waiter at the wine bar across the way insisted that I was bending the rules to work in my favour...2 against 1 not fair! As most places closed at 11pm, we wrapped up the evening at a place called Lole, a wine and tapas bar that has a perfect score on TripAdvisor.

    Stay tuned as we escape the expensive price tags of Croatia and discover what Bosnia has to offer, as we make our way to the last country of the trip! KK
    Read more