Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Grapes and goulash in Trebinje

    August 16, 2018 in Bosnia and Herzegovina ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Started the day with a morning ferry from Korcula back to Dubrovnik and then caught a bus to Trebinje, Bosnia. Btw there's a very odd policy in Montenegro, Croatia and Bosnia to pay the bus driver one euro for every bag stowed in the luggage area of bus. Lame. Pretty sure this goes directly into the driver's pocket.

    Prices in Croatia were killing us, so we were anxious to get back to the balkan costs of living away from the Mediterranean coastline. Trebinje, bosnia definitely filled that criteria. Normal sized beer ranged from $1cad to $2.50cad. Had a large goulash meal for $5cad. And our apartment rental was $30cad, and can honestly say it was overpriced heh. Won't make that mistake again.

    The old town was cute but considerably smaller and less maintained than the places we had just visited. But still a nice place to wander around before heading north to Mostar and Sarajevo. Passed lots of vineyards on the way here and learned it's Bosnia's main wine region. So that's where we started our day...

    Saw a major winery was within walking distance of our apartment and headed off. I swear it's not my fault, but there are crosswalks all over without traffic signals and you have to step into traffic and everyone stops for you... Which they did for us, but a trailing car crashed into the car that stopped for us and a huge argument ensued between drivers finishing with the guilty party hopping back in his car and taking off. And lol followed by other drivers getting out of their cars to argue about something with the victim. I was gonna record the altercations but then thought better of it and moved on. Bosnians are a feisty lot.

    Passed by a bunch of war-bombed-out buildings immediately before reaching the state of the art winery building. So much contrast everywhere. After some great wine there, we walked back and found a beer festival setting up, but unfortunately a huge storm was coming and couldn't stay for long. Got caught in a huge rainstorm earlier in the day too so left and finished the night in the old town. Pretty chill day, but have had lots of early mornings and no A/C lately, and it's starting to wear on us a bit. But with Mostar up next, getting rested is ideal. -SP
    Read more