Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Campeche

    December 19, 2023 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Slept in a little bit and then drove an hour to san ignacio cenote. Most of that hour was just trying to get out of merida - what a chaotic city.

    San ignacio cenote was more of a resort. Really nice restaurant, hotel, pool, lounging areas, artificial river. And a cave underneath it all with a natural pool of water. Swam around in the underground cenote and relaxed there for a bit and then had a yucatan styled lunch. It was cheese stuffed with pork; and no, i didn't say that backwards accidentally haha. Very tasty.

    Drove another hour south to Ich ha lol xaan cenote. This cenote had very shallow waters but with incredible colors. One of them had crazy blue water and the other had crazy blue colored rocks, almost like someone painted them.

    And another 30 minute drive to the seaside town of campeche. Its a walled city with lots of beautifully restored and colorful streets and buildings. Campeche is famous for its pirate atracks back in the day, which is the reason it was eventually a walled city.

    Did a quick walkabout and then got myself to a waterfront restaurant to watch the sunset while enjoying some ceviche and a beer.

    Finished the evening closer to my hotel on a very vibrant pedestrian street full of restaurants and shops. Have to be up at 6am the next morning and still not caught up on sleep, so didn't stay out very late.
    Read more