Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Homun

    December 20, 2023 in Mexico ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    Extremely ambitious travel plans today. Got up after 6, so that i could be out the door at 7 and on the road early because i knew the travel distances were substantial and the stops along were going to be great and not quick at all.

    Started off with an hour long drive to the ancient mayan site called Edzna. Fair sized site with lots of beautiful old structures. Spent about 30 minutes walking through the entire spot.

    Then had a 2 hour drive to Uxmal, another mayan site. But en route i realized i had a bit of a problem. Half way to Edzna i noticed my gas was getting a bit low. And i was now halfway to Uxmal with an hour to go and my gas tank warning was showing. There just weren't any gas stations or even towns bigger than a tiny village. Asked some locals in a village about gas and directed me to a person's house down a side road. Sure enough, a woman there was selling gas. I asked for 200 persos worth of gas and she brought out a bunch of Gatorade bottles filled with gas and poured it all into my car. Another new experience :)

    An hour later arrived at Uxmal. Very impressive ancient site. Huge temples, and structures plus amazing detailed carvings everywhere. Stayed about 45 minutes and then hit the road again.

    Drove another hour to X'batun cenote which was an incredible blue looking lagoon carved out of stone and a semi crater below trees and long dangling vines to the water. Relaxed there for a while and then went another 3 minutes further down the same road to Dzonbakal cenote which was more of a cave cenote also with striking blue water. Definitely not as impressive as the first but very nice to hang out in there and i could hear lots of bats chirping away.

    Drove another 45 minutes to Kankirixche cenote. Another cave like cenote but this one had a partial opening letting the light in. Maybd my favourite so far.

    And a very difficult to reach finale, at noh-mozunl cenote. Drove down really crazy uneven dirt roads through tight bush for ages and eventually reached a rock wall barricade to prevent any cars from continuing. After a local told me to continue i went on by foot and found maybe the best cenote yet in a cave like hole but full circle opening high above. Had to descend down a crazy ricketty staircase. Took a few pics and hurried back to the car. Wasn't anticipating i would have to backtrack, so getting to the hotel in homun took a lot longer but eventually made it just after the sun went down.

    Super fun day exploring mayan sites and cenotes.
    Read more