Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    Tanzania Day 6 - Arusha

    September 9, 2020 in Tanzania ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    Straight to the airport this morning for a quick 1 hour flight to Kilimanjaro! The smoothest airport transtition yet with no queues for anything and walking straight through security onto the plane! Although we were pushing our luck with the timings, arriving 40 minutes before the flight due to Dar morning traffic!

    Our hostel owner Anthony met us at the airport like long lost family! We learned all about his story in the car. He started working as a Kilimanjaro porter and has climbed it hundreds of times. He was sponsored by a German couple to attend university and study tourism. He also worked as a safari guide and a hotel manager and saved up to open his own guest house Savannah House. He has big plans for the future too and is planning on opening his next guest house. We're so glad that our money is going back to the local people.

    After dropping us back, Anthony also walked us around the local area and suggested places for us to lunch. Theres a small shopping centre with an outdoor bar/restaurant and also a Nightclub which we've already been promised dancing lessons on Friday night... Not that we need them!!

    After lunch we walked on further to explore and passed a school with hundreds of kids playing outside, some of them waved, some came over to say hello and Sadiq (8) even walked with us telling us where the shops were and to mind the road!! All so happy and all seemingly so intrigued to see a different race in their town.

    For dinner we headed to a local area about 10 minutes drive away which has all different restaurants, we have already been recommended Chinese and Etheopian but we settled on Tandoor Village and it was lovely! The menu was so big we had to eventually just pick anything but we all ended up happy! I had a Laal Dhal which was a spicy goat curry. We had a couple of beers and headed home for an early night ready for our trip to Mount Kilimanjaro in the morning!
    Read more