Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    Tanzania Day 26 - Arusha

    September 29, 2020 in Tanzania ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Our last day in Arusha had finally arrived. We were sad to be leaving Tony but excited for the final leg of the trip to Zanzibar.

    We wanted to get a present for Tony and settled on some plants for the Savannah House courtyard. We got a taxi down to the garden centre (which wasn't actually a centre but instead lots of plants on the side of the road). We ended up getting papaya, mango and avocado plants. We'll have to return in 2 years once they start producing fruit!

    In the afternoon we took a trip to a local orphanage. We asked Tony what to bring with us as we wanted to donate what we could. He suggested we buy rice, sugar, cooking oil, soap and toys. When we arrived we were shown around by the couple who ran the orphanage. All the kids also introduced themselves (some with handshakes, some with little curtseys and some with big hugs).

    There were also a group of Americans visiting in a Catholic mission. We sat back and watched whilst they played games and sang songs with the kids who were absolutely loving it. Just before they left, one of them introduced herself to us and began praying for us (which was bizare but came from good intentions), in particular for safe travels (Craig kicked himself after as he should have asked for her to pray for Tottenham to win 🤣).

    After the mission left, we began handing the toys out. Toy cars, skipping ropes, tennis balls, Lego pieces and a football were shared out and it seemed like everyone had something new to play with and no one was left out. As well as the toys, our own technology provided lots of fun for the kids too. Craig's fit bit was passed around so everyone could monitor their heart rate and how high they could get it if they ran around in circles. Countless selfies and videos were recorded on Craig's phone too.

    By 7pm it was getting dark and was time for the children to have their dinner and our time to leave. Although the word orphanage is associated with sadness, we did not experience this feeling at all on our visit. The place was full of love, joy and happiness and hope for the kids future. We hope to find other ways to help out once we're back in the UK and working again.
    Read more