Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 78

    Tanzania Days 36 - 38 - Nungwi

    October 11, 2020 in Tanzania ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    On Friday we went to Beach Baby again for a dinner and happy hour... The catch of the day was kingfish and it was delicious, afterwards Gem tried to squeeze 4 margaritas into the happy hour and after some drunken table tennis we left around 7.30pm for home... Though gem must have been doing something right on the table tennis front as she was stopped by a German women on the way out who complimented her on her ping pong!!

    We tried a different part of the beach on Saturday at a restaurant called 'Blue Wave' which was quiet but the food was great! We agreed to meet the Germans (Tom and Stef) for happy hour at Beach Baby and it was Tom's birthday so we spent the evening with them - they were divers from Dusseldorf and really interesting characters.. Later that evening, Beach Baby's party boat returned for the after-party with a DJ and for corona times, it was actually quite busy which was nice to see.. We tried introducing Stef to darts but after a while had to give up and call it a night.

    On Sunday we moved into a new hotel, still in Nungwi, called Babalao and run by a Turk called Ammat. It was brand new and he had been working to complete it for the last 6 months. He showed before and after pictures and the transformation was incredible. The rooms all had different African artworks painted directly onto the walls and the bar area had tables made from old Dhow Boats. You could tell everything had been well thought through and the end result was perfect. He was such a nice guy and we spent the evening with him and his brother talking about what brought them to Nungwi... He was an ex Turkish army General but had to retire with a back injury so was now running hotels and this was his 2nd in Nungwi (the first was Wakanda he had given to his sister to run).

    It was a shame we found Babalao so late in our trip to Nungwi as we would have wanted to stay much longer!
    Read more