Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 80

    Tanzania Day 40 - Nungwi

    October 13, 2020 in Tanzania ⋅ 🌧 28 °C

    We woke up and had another delicious breakfast from Babalao - fresh fruit, passion fruit juice, eggs and pancakes (needless to say we've definitely both gained a few Zanzibar pounds!). After, we went to the cash point which is a 30 minute walk away, through the local village.

    After working up an appetite we ate lunch at M&J cafe which overlooks a local playing field. The food is amazing and reasonably priced as it's not right on the beach.

    Then straight to the stables to swim with the horses! This time, Craig politely declined but came for a stroll and was the designated camera man. We walked the horses down to the beach and hopped on once we were on the sand (no saddles or bridles either, just a harness). I rode Oreo and he loved the water - he loved splashing his front feet against the waves! We did some walking in the water and a little swimming but I got the impression that Oreo preferred the walking so I was more than happy to let him find his own way.

    After 35 minutes my legs were killing - riding bareback is tough on the legs anyway but combined with the resistance of the water naturally pushing your legs back and having to grip tightly to stop them, it was the most intense leg workout I've done! We rode the horses back along the beach to the stables and hopped off. For a horse obsessed child it was definitely one of the highlights of the whole trip for me!

    We had dinner at a beachfront restaurant called Lungi Lungi and both had delicious local style coconut curries for dinner whilst watching our last Nungwi sunset.
    Read more