Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 83

    Tanzania Day 43-44 - Pingwe

    October 16, 2020 in Tanzania ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    The next stop on the east coast of Zanzibar was Pingwe. We didn't know much about the area but it is famous for 'The Rock' (not Dwayne Johnson, a restaurant on a rock in the ocean).

    We were welcomed with open arms into Shanuo Beach Bungalows by the lovely hotel owner Gillian (originally from Scotland). She showed us our room and we were delighted as the terrace overlooked the beach and ocean. Minutes later a local guy climbed seamlessly up the coconut tree to fetch us a fresh coconut. Craig tried next but only managed to climb a few feet!

    We spent the afternoon exploring the other local restaurants and hotels which were all a short walk away via the beach. The first was Upendo (the same company as the place we loved in stone town, Upendo House). It overlooked the rock and we had a great sharing platter for lunch.

    We thought we'd try The Rock next for a cocktail. Since the tide was high, we had to jump on a little boat to get to the restaurant (and it was a pretty bumpy ride)!

    The next stop was Baladin, a restaurant and hotel serving Italian food and...... Italian craft draught beer! It also had an amazing beach front area with a pool, swing chairs, sun loungers and even a boat like structure with day beds to lie on!

    The next day we pretty much spent the whole day either lounging on the day beds at our hotel or drinking craft beer and playing pool at the lovely Baladin!
    Read more