Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 120

    Costa Rica Day 16 - 18 Pacure River

    May 10, 2021 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    The 4am bus to San Jose was actually great for me, 3 hours asleep across all 4 back row seats was beyond first class!! We had to leave so soon in order to make the 10am check in time to White Water Raft into our next hotel!

    We made it in perfect time and seemingly before we could considering backing out were in the raft getting taught how/what to do! It was amazing fun and though the class 1/2 rapids were the lowest difficulty we could still feel the challenge and power of the water!

    Arriving so wet we might has well have swam in, we showered and rested for the rest of the day! The next morning was a hike to a beautiful waterfall, we also met some fellow travellers who were volunteer workers at the lodge and ended up spending the evening together!

    The next morning was another hike (which turned out to be a wade upstream towards a waterfall) It was harder than any of the first 4 days of Kilimanjaro and the combination of slippery rocks and running water meant progress was slow!! Our guide seemed keen to push on regardless and hilariously would react to us falling over by shouting from miles ahead 'be careful!!' yeah cheers for that Ronnie haha!

    That afternoon Gem went horse riding and I set out on another hike with the other volunteers, but this time to find the only local bar! (Which was 2 hours away)

    Gem loved her ride and luckily we found someone in the bar with a pick up truck, so after a few drinks we didn't all have to walk back! We all had a great night in camp playing cards and promised to keep in touch with the English couple this summer.

    The next morning we rafted the Class 3 & 4 rapids - the maximum is class 5! After around an hour we were both exhausted and for some reason we had no help from any of the volunteers (possibly because we sat up drinking with them all the night before and they're not supposed to) On one of the last class 4 rapids we lost control and didn't have the power to get out of trouble, we hit a rock and after I went in Gem followed and somehow the guide steadied everything before the raft flipped as well!! After around 10/15 seconds in the water we were back to safety and luckily the rest of the trip was class 1's and 2's.
    Read more