Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Delta Hotel, Deltebre spain

    March 7, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Today was the end of our cruise. We had a quick breakfast and were off the boat and on our way to the airport by 9:00 a.m. At the airport, we picked up our car (a Ford van) and headed out to our first stop in Deltebre.

    Our start was a bit rough. We ended up on the toll highway and every few kilometres (or so it seemed), ended up having to put our credit card into a toll booth machine. We will find out what that cost us when we get home! Fortunately the traffic was light and the drive was fairly easy.

    Our destination, Deltebre is small resort town on the Declarant formed by the Elba River flowing into the Mediterranean. It is completely flat. This area is heavily agricultural. The main crop is rice. We drove out to the coast and walked along the river, in a protected area. The delta is home to over 600 species of birds, many kinds of fish, eels and amphibians. Although it is quiet now, one can imagine how busy it would be in the summer. We stopped at the beach to put our hands in the Mediteranian, pretty cold.

    Despite vows by all parties to start drinking less, we stopped at a restaurant on the river to sit in the sun and drink Sangria. It is another lovely day.

    Our hotel is proudly organic and environmentally responsible. The hotel food is made with organic produce, rice and wine. Supper was a huge paella shared by 3.

    Tomorrow we head to Lorca.
    Read more