Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Slow Day in Glasgow

    September 21, 2022 in Scotland ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Today was our last day in this incredible city, for tomorrow, we drive north. We spent the morning doing a bit of shopping; some clothes, some cologne, some artisanal chocolate.

    We dropped our goods back at the hotel and caught the subway out to Hillhead, which has lots of cafes and shops and is near the University, so is also full of students. We ended up for lunch at a place called 'Old Salty' which, trumpet blast, angelic choir singing in the heavens, served the best damn chips I've eaten since landing at Heathrow.

    A drink at the lovely art deco pub/restaurant The Ivy in the late afternoon back in the city and a walk by the river in the early evening saw us happily relaxed and ready to get a good night's sleep before driving 3-4 hours in the morning up to Inverness.

    Glasgow is a large city, just under 1.9 million people. It is a University town and it also has a strong working class background. Its city centre is almost the equal of Newcastle upon Tyne for Victorian architecture with more than sandstone to go around than you could ever wish for. It has a friendly feel. The staff in shops are very helpful and seem to be more cheerful than I am used to back home. There is more begging here than I have seen elsewhere. Poverty and homelessness is an ongoing problem that cities around the world continue to grapple with, and Glasgow is no exception.

    I can say very comfortablly that I am really plesed that we included Glasgow in our itinerary, because not everyone does. It is a very welcoming place and has a good feel about it. On a personal note, I feel like I have had a lovely stay. I can see that people can live their lives here and make a real go of it in a city that has a lot to offer. Full marks Glasgow.
    Read more