Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    The Trip to the Highlands

    September 22, 2022 in Scotland ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    We bid a fond farewell to Glasgow, checking out of our gorgeous hotel, paying our car parking fee and heading off to Inverness for what is supposed to be around a three hour journey. With stops for refuelling, toliet breaks and coffee breaks and lunch, we did not arrive in Inverness until 3.30pm, not ideal.

    Our trip up north was relaxing, there was plenty to see, and we had music going for most of he time, a playlist of Chris', as I never know what to play in the car even when I'm by myself.

    We did have a very lovely stop at a town called Perth. Now in fact, it may seem a little odd, but I have never been to Perth or WA in Australia. At least not yet. Yet here I was, swanning about in Perth in Scotland. We had a coffee and then walked around the city centre for a while taking in the views, the architecture, the people and the River Tay. Perth is very old. In truth, it looks a bit down at heal, but I think it did have its glory days, way off in the past. We both enjoyed our little stay with the Tay and dutifully headed off to drive much further north.

    Ultimately, we got to drive through the edge of the Cairngorm National Park, so we got to see the Cairngorms in their brutal reality. Great rolling mountains that undulate like hills that come right down to your feet, with nary a tree on any of them that I could see, but low dense brush and bush that would make a great home for little Scottish critters as long as they could withstand the winds.

    I confess, I do not know a great deal about the highlands, but what I saw of them, they are at once beautiful to behold, but rough and unforgiving to the unwary traveller. They are very exposed, so the winds are a big deal if you're going into the highlands. There are lots of pictograph signs on the side of the road warning about deer crossing, like we have with kangaroos, and not just cutesy little deer either, but the big antlered Monarch of the Glen type deer, whose famous portrait you may recall we saw in the Hunterian in Glasgow, and into whose massive bodies I would not want to have a collision.

    Finally, after a long day, we arrived in Inverness. Very tired and frankly, a bit overwrought at all the packing and unpacking we've been doing. In hindsight (no pun intended), we did not allow enough time in Inverness. A mistake. But you live and learn when you travel, just like you do when you're at home.

    Our apartment here is the best we have had in the UK so far. It is beautifully appointed with only the finest finishings. We are tired and need to rest a bit, but we are comfortable.
    Read more