Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 142

    Healy Pass

    August 31, 2021 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    A winding drive up and down the Healy Pass - built back in 1851 or so, to bridge the gap between the Kerry and Cork sides of the Beara Peninsula - some road!!
    We took a small hike up to a peak at the highest part and could take in 360 views over Cork, Kerry the kingdom and outwards to sea. Amazing place. Very peaceful. A moments rest at the top for some silent meditation watching the clouds and shadows pass over the fields, ever changing shades of green and gold.

    On our descent, an older local farmer was out walking in the middle of the road, he hailed us down with his wooden walking stick for the chats - or what felt like a child’s innocent interrogation - a string of at least 20 questions in 45seconds….including classic questions such as “Where are you from?”, “Are you married?”, “How did ye meet?”, “Did ye snog when ye first meet?”, “Do they call it a song over there?”, “What do they call it, a kiss?”, “How long we’re you single before you met?” “Don’t people nowadays get married much later!” “How old are you?” How long have you been travelling?”, “”…….as we answered he quickly moved to his next questions…not being able to get much questions in from our side at all… ..we shared names and smiled as we parted ways with old man John, and his 60 second quiz!
    Read more