Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Wroclaw

    September 5, 2021 in Poland ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    I have been refraining from pronunciation posts, but this one is a good idea example of Polish. As best as I can transliterate this, it is "Vdrawtswav". The dr indicates a rolled R. I'm still struggling with pronunciation here
    Wroclaw is a large city in central Poland described as having 5 rivers, 20 islands and about 120 bridges. It has a very complex history that's way too much for this post.
    The 1st picture is a look from one of the many bridges across the junction of 2 of the rivers.
    The 2nd picture is of a main building of Wroclaw University. This was founded in the 13th century as a Jesuit academy. The 4rd picture is in the old jail. The courtyard is now a pub. So I chose not to take a picture of that. The faculty of archaeology has offices here. The 4th picture is of medieval butchers street. The statues in the foreground remember the many animals who gave their lives for these businesses. The 5th picture is simply a side street in the old town.
    The last picture is fun. Wroclaw has a thing for gnomes. They're everywhere. This one is at the old jail. The story is that this guy shaved his beard against the gnome code. His punishment was to sit chained here until his beard grew down to the sidewalk. To give an idea of the fun: right across the street is another gnome sitting on a scooter as a pizza delivery guy, flat box and all.
    Read more