Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Festung Hohensalzburg

    September 26, 2021 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Literally High Salzburg Fortress, this is one of the largest medieval castles in Europe. It was begun in 1077, but built up at the behest of the Prince-Archbishops of Salzburg. If the terminology is unfamiliar, it refers to the leadership of a province of the church. Salzburg was not part of any other entity until it fell to Napoleon. As may be obvious, the wealth of "Salt Town" derived from salt mines nearby.
    The 1st picture looks up at the fortress walls from just outside the main gate. The 2nd picture looks through a castle arch out onto the main courtyard. The 3rd picture is of the side of the St. George chapel with interesting artwork.
    The 4th and 5th pictures are in the royal apartments. The 4th picture is in the main bedroom. Notice the open door to the left. This is an original garderobe (medieval toilet). The next picture is in the Golden Hall or entertaining chamber adjacent to bedroom. These are preserved/restored as original. Most of the rest of the castle interior has been modernized as museum space.
    The last picture is a rare exception to my last comment. This is in the castle chapel that has been excavated not too long ago. The items pictured preserve some of the original decorative artwork found during excavation.
    Read more