Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    More Salzburg

    September 26, 2021 in Austria ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    ISTM that any trip to Salzburg has to recognize Mozart. Here is his statue (in the 1st picture) in, of all places, Mozartplatz, one of the main squares.
    The 2nd picture overlooks the city from the castle (see Festung Hohensalzburg post).
    The 3rd picture may look familiar from The Sound of Music. Atop this wall is where Maria was walking after leaving the convent. What looks like a tunnel at the bottom of the wall was built as an air raid shelter in world war 2. It's a parking garage now.
    The 4th picture is in the cemetery at St Peters Abbey. This is the cemetery where the vonTrapps hid during the movie, though it was filmed on a set in Hollywood.
    St. Peters Abbey is the 5th picture. This is where St. Rupert founded the abbey in the 7th century. His statue is over the door to the church (see the Salzburg Churches post). Salzburg developed from here. It is why Salzburg celebrates St Rupert's Day with an extended festival. (I happen to be here in the middle of it, and there are dirndls and lederhosen everywhere.) St. Peters remains an active abbey, housing both Benedictine and Franciscan monks. It is one of the oldest, being continuous since its founding.
    The last picture is in the church of Nonnberg Abbey. Yes, this is where Maria was. So start singing "You'll Never Walk Alone." It, too, is an active abbey, and it is said to be the one if the oldest convents, dating back to the founding of St Peter's. The 1st abbess was a relative of St. Rupert.
    Read more