Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Zagreb Old Town

    October 2, 2021 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Zagreb is the capital of and largest city in Croatia where there is evidence of settlement dating to at least Ronan times. The city is informally divided into the upper and lower town. The Old City is in the upper town.
    The 1st picture is the the Stone Gate that was part of the old city wall. It is said that in a fire in the 12th century, all of the wooden gate structure burned except a painting of the virgin and child. It is still there, and people still come to pray.
    Not far away is the Zagreb cathedral in the 2nd picture, looking up a typical narrow lane of the old city. Many buildings such as the cathedral are not open. This is due to damage from an earthquake in 2020. The pandemic has just made it more difficult to get to renovation work.
    The 3rd picture is a recognizable building of Zagreb: St. Mark's Church, dating to the 13th century. The roof is most famous but dates to 1880. The church is in a square of surrounding buildings of the national government offices.
    The 4th picture is of the main square in old town with it's daily (except Sunday) market in full swing.
    The 5th picture is of the tower where a cannon is fired at noon every day as it has for over 100 years. At the foot of the tower is the upper end of the world's shortest funicular.
    The last picture captures a part of the old city wall with a bit of the Mary column to the left and the cathedral to the right.
    Read more