Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Capernaum

    February 18, 2022 in Israel ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Capernaum, located on the northwest shore of the Sea of Galilee was understood to be the base from where Jesus ministered. There are many events in his life that occurred here, including teaching in the synagogue healings, and more.
    Archaeologists describe Capernaum as a small town dating from the 2nd century BCE with a single main street. It appears that agriculture and fishing were the main activities here. That main street is shown in the 1st picture.
    The next 3 pictures all relate to the synagogue excavated here. This building dates to the 4th century. The 2nd picture is of the main room in the synagogue. The 3rd picture look down into an excavation in one corner of the building. This is thought to be remains of the 1st century synagogue. The 4th picture is of a line of decorations, mostly column capitals, from the synagogue.
    The 5th picture is a part of what is thought to be Peter's house. It is described as an insula, a building that gets added to as additional members of the family need a home. This house is both large and located in front of the synagogue towards the lake. This suggests that Peter's family would have had some wealth.
    You might notice a dark beam at the top of the 5th picture. This is part of the structure supporting the Franciscan church built above Peter's house that is shown in the last picture. The church is built in the round around a square, glass covered opening that looks down on the ruins of Peter's house.
    Read more