Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Magdala

    February 18, 2022 in Israel ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    The modern municipality of Migdal dates to the early 20th century and is located at the site of the town of Magdala that dates to the 2nd temple period. Many consider this to be the birthplace of Mary Magdalene.
    One of the most striking things here is the new church overlooking the lake. The chancel is shown in the 1st picture. That "ship" in the front is the altar table that is, in turn, in front of the windows to the Sea of Galilee.
    The rest of the pictures are of the ruins of the ancient village. The 2nd picture looks along a main street over some ancient houses. The 3rd picture is of the Migdal synagogue. Note the traditional bench seats around the wall. In the center is a carved white stone shown in more detail in the 4th picture. This is not stone found locally. Its purpose is not known but has been suggested that it might be a place for placing the scrolls for reading. It is a piece that is said to be unique in Israel. The 5th picture is an original mosaic in situ along one side of the main room of the synagogue.
    The last picture is near the synagogue or perhaps within the building complex. It is said to be a mikvah or ritual bath for ritual purification.
    Read more