Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Catania

    March 6, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Catania is the 2nd largest city in Sicily and the economic center of the island. The city is located between Mt. Etna and the sea. Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures because, even on a sunny day, most of the volcano was the clouds (and maybe some smoke--it was hard to tell).
    The city dates back to the 8th century BCE when it was founded by Greek colonists. It has been subject to a number of earthquakes over the centuries. The most significant was in 1693 when the city was flattened. Everything seen today is what was built to replace the destroyed city.
    The 1st picture is the cathedral dedicated to the nativity of Holy Mary. In front of the cathedral is the Piazza Del Duomo where the 2nd picture was taken. The building in the background is the city hall, but more important is the column with the elephant and obelisk (called U Liotru), which is the symbol of the city. Interestingly, paleontology suggests that dwarf elephant were native to Sicily and that they were about the same size as the statue.
    The 4rd picture is Ursino Castle that dates to the 13th century. It is about the only structure to survive the 1693 earthquake. The castle is built on lava, and it is thought that this is why is survived. Some say that lava has seismic benefits for buildings.
    The 4th picture looks on an excavation of some of the Roman ruins. This is part of the theater complex. I'm told that the tunnels that existed for the theater were used as bomb shelters during world war 2.
    The 5th picture looks along the religious street. This is a unique situation where numerous convents and monasteries of several orders with their churched were grouped together, one after another along a single street.
    The last picture is a bit of street art. This particular piece was modified at the beginning of the covid pandemic. I'm sure you'll recognize what was added.
    Read more