Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Lecce, Apulia

    March 10, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Lecce is located, if I can put it this way, in the "heel" of the "boot" shaped peninsula that Italy is. That is in the far southeast of the country. People have lived here since at least the time of the Trojan war.
    Much of the city is built with light colored limestone, called Lecce Stone, that is soft and easy to work. You can see it in most of the pictures taken outdoors.
    The 1st picture is of the Napoli Gate, sometimes call the triumphal arch, that dates to the 16th century. This is one of 3 gates that were built in the ancient city walls giving entrance to the historic city center
    The 2nd picture is of the facade of the Basilica of Santa Croce. Also dating to the 16th century, this facade is a prime example of the baroque. In fact, there is so much baroque architecture here that Lecce is sometimes call the Florence of the south. The basilica was closed, much to my chagrin.
    The 3rd picture is of the walls of the castle of Charles V, built in the 16th century. The 1st floor has been remodeled to serve as a museum. The lower level, which I understand is more interesting, was closed.
    There are 2 ancient theaters in Lecce. They are identified as the Teatro Romano and the Anfiteatro. The Anfiteatro is what we usually think of when Greco-Roman theaters come to mind. I've posted pictures of many. However, in the 4th picture I've chose to post the Teatro Romano. This is a small theater that is totally hemmed in by buildings and reached only by narrow alleyways. It probably dates to the 1st or 2nd century. Yet is is as good s condition as I've seen.
    The last 2 pictures are at the cathedral here that dates to the 12th century. It is dedicated to the Assumption of Mary. The 5th picture looks across the Piazza del Duomo to the cathedral; the 6th is in the nave.
    Read more