Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Not quite so old Bari

    March 9, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Barivecchia is on a peninsula between 2 harbors. The newer part of the city begins immediately south of there.
    The 1st picture is taken from a viewpoint on the edge of the Barivecchia, overlooking the old harbor. This was the active harbors, especially for the local fishing fleet. The red building to the right is the Teatro Margherita, now a museum. Directly across the street from the Teatro Margherita and in the 2nd picture is the former fish market where it is said you could watch the catch being handled and prepared as well as buy some fish. This is now being redeveloped into an arts/cultural complex.
    The 3rd picture is the Teatro Petruzzeli recently reopened after a long rest due to a fire. This is the current opera house and symphony hall.
    The 4th picture looks at a street scene to give a flavor of the visions types of architecture in Bari. The building on the corner is s Palazzo.
    The last picture is of part of the Piazza Umberto, the largest in the city. Behind the fountain is an equestrian statue of Umberto I, king of Italy in the late 19th century.
    Read more