Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Positano

    March 14, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    Positano, the 2nd stop in my visit to the Amalfi coast, is a village built up a cliff side from the beach. I'm told that when the well to do began to feel that Capri was getting to crowded, they began to head to Positano. Today, this is an expensive, high end town.
    Settlement here dates to prehistoric times, but remains date to the Roman period when the wealthy began to build villas in the region. It grew significantly beginning in the 15th century as a trading port of the Amalfi Republic (see another post).
    The 1st picture looks down along the beach and across the cliff side village. I'm told this view become almost magical around sunset and into the evening. The next 2 picture are taken from the beach, looking up at the town. These give a good sense of just how steep this town is. I'm also told that one of the reasons for building like this was that pirates often visited these trading towns. So the wealthy kept moving uphill for better protection.
    The next 2 pictures are in the Church of Santa Maria Assunta. This church is most famous for the mosaic in the 4th picture. It is Byzantine in style, and nothing like it exists anywhere nearby. No one knows how it got to Positano, but one legend says that pirates stole it. When they were passing, a violent storm erupted, and they heard a voice saying pit it down. So they left it, "put it down," in Positano, and the storm abated.
    The last picture is of islands off the coast near Positano. These are private islands owned by wealthy and famous people. Yes, such places do exist, and no, tourists can't visit
    Read more