Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Orvieto

    March 20, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    Orvieto is a small city stop an outcrop of volcanic tuff with near vertical cliffs all around. This has been a city since at least Etruscan times and was actually an Etruscan acropolis.
    It has been an important city for centuries. It's near impregnable, fortress like setting and its location over the main Rome to Florence road has contributed to the city's wealth and the influence. In fact, this is 1 of only 2 cities outside of Rome to have a papal palace. This is shown in the last picture, though it's now a museum.
    The city today is essentially medieval in character as I think you'll be able to see in the pictures.
    The 1st picture looks from above at what people approaching had to see: the cliffs upon which the city is built. The 2nd picture looks down on 1 of the city gates located below the top of the cliffs. This is the Porta Romana.
    The 3rd picture looks into the Republic Square with a small market set up in the square. Immediately to the left in the square is St. Andrew's Church with it's octagonal bell tower shown in the 4th picture.
    The 5th picture is the oldest church in the city, San Giovenale, that dates to 1004. It is said to have original frescoes but wasn't open.
    The 6th picture is a typical street in Orvieto, and the 7th looks over a portion of the city from atop the Torre del Moro. The cathedral (see another post) is to the right.
    Read more