Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Assisi

    March 23, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Assisi is another fortified hill town in Umbria, a region named for its 1st known settlers about 3,000 years ago. Over time, the Etruscans moved in; then finally the Romans.
    Of course this says nothing about Assisi's most famous son: Francesco di Bernardone. He's the guy we know as St. Francis of Assisi. Also born here is arguably the town's most famous daughter and one of Francis' earliest followers: Chiara d'Offreducci. This, of course, is St. Clare.
    In Assisi, there is a large basilica in St. Francis' name (see another post). And there are many churches (see yet another post). This post attempts to look at some of the rest of what's here.
    The 1st picture is of the main square called the Piazza del Commune. This was the Roman forum during that period. The 2nd picture is a closer look at the far end. Notice the building with the columns. That is the facade of a Temple of Minerva from Roman times and dated to the 1sy century BCE. Behind the facade the building was converted to a church (see that other post). To the left of the temple is the People's Tower and the Palace of the Capitan of the People. I'm told that the tower has engraved on it standard measures to assure that everyone knows. The building on the left of the picture is the palace of the Priori.
    The 3rd picture is an interesting painted tunnel, and the 4th picture is a typical side street, stairs and all. The 5th picture is the 3 lions fountain dating to the 16th century, also in the main square.
    It would be incomplete to not include a look at the view. The 6th picture looks out from the upper piazza at the basilica.
    The 7th picture looks up at Rocca or castle atop the hill above the town. This castle was closed, a second similar one, built by the same guy, exists at Spoleto (see another post).
    Read more