Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Chiesa de St. Chiara

    March 23, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    St. Francis has his basilica. Now St. Clare gets equal time. This basilica is not nearly as large as St. Francis'. This building also dates to the 13th century and is built on the site of the former church of San Giorgio, the remains of which are incorporated into the side chapels.
    This is the mother church of the order of nuns who bear her name. Their rule is said to be the 1st monastic rule written by a woman.
    The 1st picture is the facade of this Italian Gothic church. You can see the rose window below the triangular tympanum. The 2nd picture is a close up of that window from inside.
    The 3rd picture is in the crypt with St. Clare's tomb of pink limestone and glass which is located directly below the main altar. The 4th picture is a closeup of the tomb itself.
    The 5th picture is in the nave of the church, and the 6th picture is the 12th century crucifix of San Damiano that bears Romanesque iconography. Not only is this crucifix important to St. Clare who spent time at St. Damiano, this is the crucifix that spoke to Francis telling him to "go, repair my house..."
    Read more