Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Siena Duomo

    March 29, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    The Metropolitan Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption dates to the 13th century but is built on the site of previous churches dating to at least the 9th century. In the 14th century, when Siena was at the height of it's power and wealth, an attempt was made to enlarge the cathedral to make it the largest in the world. Work was begun but was stopped due to the Black Death that killed as much as 80% of the population. It was not continued.
    The 1st picture is the facade of the cathedral today. The round window up high has been covered for protection. The 2nd picture is that window from inside.
    One of the particularly unique aspects of this cathedral is its floor. The 3rd picture shows just one small section. That is not a mosaic. The design is accomplished by pieces of various colored marble specifically cut to fit to create the picture.
    The 4th picture looks down the nave of the church. The 5th picture is in the Piccolomini Library with it's collection of ancient choir books of chant and extensive frescoes by Pinturicchio. The 6th picture is in one of the chapels.
    The 7th and 8th pictures are in the museum that houses many of the original works of art that have been replaced by copies to protect the originals. One looks down a gallery of sculpture to a round window while the other is a Donatello Madonna and child.
    The last picture is in the baptistry. That is part of the Donatello font. It is encased for renovation
    Read more