Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Accademia Gallery

    March 30, 2022 in Italy ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    The Galleria dell'Accademia dates to the late 18th century and houses works by Florentine artists primarily from the 13th to the 17th century. Arguably the most famous work held here is probably one of the most famous and recognizable sculptures in the world: Michelangelo's David. That is, of course, the 1st picture. There are other scriptures by Michelangelo here, including several unfinished pieces, but they are covered for some gallery renovation as you can see in the 2nd picture.
    The museum houses more than David. The 3rd picture is an unusual Tree of Life. The 4th picture is the sculpture by Giambologna called the Rape of the Sabine Woman.
    The 5th picture is Jesus being taken down from the cross. The 6th is an interesting crucifixion scene with a clearly trinitarian motif with father, son and spirit all together in the center with a lot of cherubs around.
    The 7th scene is an annunciation scene. This is an early example of the annunciation in a loggia. The 8th is a Florentine wedding. It is interesting as the location can be discerned. Notice the Duomo of Florence (see another post) in the background.
    The 9th picture is another example of Jesus being taken from the cross. The last picture looks into another gallery with a collection of sculptures in the center and paintings on the walls.
    As at the Uffizi, I'm not able to identify all the artists (beyond Michelangelo, that is). The art is simply stunning. Again, please feel free to add any information you would like to share about any of this.
    Read more