Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    St Mark's Basilica

    April 3, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    The Patriarchal Cathedral Basilica of St. Mark is the principal church of Venice. The current form of the church dates mostly to the 11th century, though there were predecessor basilicas on the site that can still be identified in parts of the building. Not surprisingly, additional modifications were made over the centuries.
    While this is a Roman Catholic church, the architecture is more Byzantine than western with barrel vaults, Arabic influences, multiple domes, Byzantine style mosaics and more. During the time of the republic, the Doge was the head of the church as St. Mark's was his chapel. Even afterwards, decisions about the building, clergy, administration, etc. all resided in the government of Venice, not in Rome. The local and eastern influences can be seen throughout.
    The 1st picture is the side facade facing the Doge's Palace and the lagoon. The rest of the pictures are taken in the narthex and inside the basilica. I spent so much time being awed by the mosaics that I don't think I can safely identify the locations of each of these. Nor can these pictures do justice to the artistry. Perhaps you can identify the scenes in the mosaics. Think of biblical stories and events. You might just recognize some.
    Read more