Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    San Marino

    April 2, 2022 in San Marino ⋅ ☀️ 3 °C

    The Republic of San Marino is the 5th smallest country in the world and claims the titles of oldest sovereign state (dating to 301 CE) and oldest constitutional republic.
    San Marino sits on and around Monte Titano with its eponymous capital city near the top. 3 towers dating to the 11th century are along the ridge at the very top of the mountain.
    The 1st picture is the Gate of St. Francis, one of the 12 historic gates and the main gate to the city today.
    Just inside the gate is the church of St. Francis and adjoining convent that date to the 14th century. The convent now houses a museum.
    The 3rd and 4th pictures are of the main church in town: the Basilica of St. Martin (San Marino). Saint Marinus established a self governing monastic community that evolved into the republic. He also built the 1st church located where the current building (19th century) is located.
    The 5th and 6th pictures are of the 1st tower called Guaita. This is the oldest and largest of the 3 towers. The 5th picture is inside the tower walls, looking across the yard. The 7th picture looks out to the 2nd tower called Cesta. Both the 2nd and 3rd towers are more watchtowers than fortresses. Only the 1st tower is open
    The 8th picture is of the inside of the fortification wall between the 1st and 2nd towers. Notice the walkway for defenders behind the crenellations. It strikes me as narrow especially where warriors need to pass each other.
    The 9th picture is of the Palazzo Publico or town hall (the building to the left directly on the square).
    The last picture is the Cava de Balestrieri when demonstrations such as flag waving and crossbowmanship are held. There are annual festivals and special occasions when crossbows (balestriri) are demonstrated.
    Read more