Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Cheese!

    April 16, 2022 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Imagine that! Cheese in Switzerland. And in the town of Gruyères. Said town is in the alpine foothills of southwestern Switzerland in the French speaking part of the country. Gruyères is a hill town with the chateau at the very top. That is the 1st picture. The 2nd picture is the view from the chateau, a view that captures much of what Switzerland is known for: Alps, dairy farms, green pastures, etc. The 3rd picture is along the main street of the town with it's medieval architecture and cobblestone street.
    The 4th picture looks out from the other side of the hill over the local countryside with the farms that provide milk for the Gruyères cheese. The 5th picture is of the main gate into town, and the 6th picture looks along the town wall on the inside. On the right are the crenallations used for defensive purposes.
    The rest of the pictures are of the town's most famous product: Gruyeres cheese and its manufacture. Here is the process, from mixing and culturing to the presses and ripening. Notice the robot in the 9th picture that turns the cheese wheels and cleans the rind.
    The last picture is a 35 kilogram cheese (the standard size) stamped and ready to be shipped.
    Read more