Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Chocolate!

    April 16, 2022 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    The town of Broc is within sight of the Gruyères chateau in the French speaking part of Switzerland. This is the location of the Caillers chocolate factory. The original building is in the 1st picture. Their tour is a virtual tour through the history of chocolate from the European perspective, from their learning about it in the Americas, starting with the Aztecs through it's spread through the European aristocracy and finally to the rest of the people. The history tour was too dark for pictures as you can see in the 2nd picture which is of some early chocolate processing machines.
    The 3rd picture is a room in a room on the next stage of the tour with pictures of various people involved in all stages of the production of chocolate as well as displays of additions like hazelnuts and almonds. Each individual has a story that is told through the audio guide provided.
    The 5th and 6th pictures are processing equipment. The wrapped chocolates coming out the end went directly to a table for tasting. Mmm.
    The 7th picture is a worker making chocolate Easter bunnies. The 8th picture is just to the left of that worker. You can see fountains of milk, dark and white chocolate flowing. Also visible at the left are bunny molds with the decorative bits in place waiting for the chocolate to fill the rest of the mold.
    The last picture is the final tasting room where samples of all their chocolates are set out. There is no limit to how many pieces anyone can take. I've never seen such a generous tasting offer anywhere. Chocoholics, this is your place! And not just because Swiss chocolate is among the best in the world.
    Read more