Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Geneva

    April 19, 2022 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Geneva is located in the southwest of Switzerland where the Rhone River exits Lake Geneva (Lac Leman, in French). Geneva is a global city, hosting a lot of international activity ( see another post).
    Historically, Geneva was a border town with all the trading that goes with it. The Rhone was for many years the northern border of the Roman empire, and the city's location is likely due to an ancient bridge located here.
    The 1st picture looks out to Lake Geneva from near where the Rhone flows out. To the right is the Jet d'Eau, the water jet that shoots 120 meters high and has become a symbol of the city. The 2nd picture looks down the Rhone from under the bridge at the point where the river begins. The old town (see another post) is on the hill to the left of the the river.
    The 3rd picture is the floral clock in the English Garden along the lake shore.
    The 4th picture is the opera house, and the 5th picture is in the Bastion Park. During the Reformation (see another post), Geneva was one of the most heavily fortified towns in Europe: a staunchly Protestant town surrounded by largely Catholic regions. Most of that has been dismantled, but this park is in one of those areas, in between the inner bastion and the 2nd wall.
    The last 2 pictures are for the science geeks: Geneva's other famous resident, CERN. The particle physics lab is world renown. The 2 pictures are at the Atlas site, the only one of the 4 observation sites in Switzerland. 1 is of the outer wall. The other is the control room.
    Read more