Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Geneva International

    April 20, 2022 in Switzerland ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    It is quite likely that Geneva is best known these days for its international presence. In fact, more international organizations have their headquarters here than in any other city in the world.
    The 1st picture looks down the entrance to the Palace of Nations, the European headquarters of the United Nations., Unfortunately, it is still closed from the pandemic. The 2nd picture is part of 1 of the wall murals around the Palace of Nations property. The 3rd picture that looks like a smaller version of the UN headquarters in New York is the home of the World Intellectual Property Organization. The 4th picture is a sculpture near the UN. It is an artillery piece with the barrel twisted into a knot as a call to an end to war.
    The 5th picture is around the corner from the Palace of Nations and is a statue of Mahatma Gandhi with the Arianna Museum in the background.
    The 6th picture is the International Red Cross building, formerly the Hotel Carlton. The Red Cross was founded in Geneva. What I was surprised to learn is that the name came from the flag, not the other way around. The red cross on the white field is the reverse of the Swiss flag, white cross on red. The original Geneva convention was signed here, the original of which is in the 7th picture. Their museum is extraordinary, looking at all of what the Red Cross does, going back to the beginning of the organization. The 8th picture is an example. This room holds thank you gifts to Red Cross workers from prisoners visited, all hand made from materials at hand in the prison.
    The 9th picture is the headquarters of the World Council of Churches. The 10th picture is in the Rockefeller Chapel in the WCC building. It is a beautiful space with many expressions of Christianity from around the world.
    Read more