Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Cathedral of Valencia

    April 28, 2022 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    The cathedral is located on Virgin Square next to the basilica (see another post). The importance of this church is largely due to one of the relics kept here. That relic is in the 1st picture, and the 2nd picture is a broader look at the chapel that holds it. This is the chalice or grail that the Vatican says is the real one. I'm told that there are about 25 similar relics, but archaeology and lab testing indicate that of the 25, this is the one most likely to be the correct one. The cup in the upper portion dates to the correct period. The rest of it is later additions.
    During the reconquest of Spain from the Moors, when Valencia was taken in the 13th century, all physical traces of the Moorish period were destroyed. The cathedral is built on the spot where the main mosque was located which apparently sits on top of a Roman temple. The 3rd, 4th and 5th pictures are of doors built at different times and in the different architectural styles of the time. The door in the 3rd picture is the oldest and is in the location of the main entrance to the former mosque. The other doors are Gothic and Baroque.
    The 6th picture is the nave of the cathedral looking towards the chancel. The rest of the pictures are some of the side chapels and show some of the extraordinary art here
    Read more